Coconut OG Mackerel Fusilli
Follow this EASY recipe for an exotic Sri Lankan twist on a comforting pasta dish!
- 350g good quality fusilli pasta
- 2 cans mackerel drained
- 1 can good quality coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 2 green chilis with a slit lengthwise
- 8-10 curry leaves torn in half
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Kitchen Guerrilla OG Tamil Meat Seasoning
- coconut oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- lime juice to finish
- get a heavy bottomed pot boiling with salted water for the pasta
- heat a medium sized heavy bottomed pot on medium-high, add some coconut oil
- once it starts smoking add your onion, green chilis, ginger and garlic. Cook until slightly browned
- add curry leaves and let it temper for about 30 seconds
- add your turmeric and Kitchen Guerrilla OG Tamil Meat Seasoning. Make sure you stir vigorously as you want the spices to start toasting but not burn. This should take just under a minute.
- add the ketchup and soy sauce, stir very frequently and it should form a paste-like consistency
- add coconut milk and bring to a boil, then add the mackerel. Turn it down to a low simmer and let it go for about 15 minutes uncovered.
- add your pasta to the boiling water, cook until al-dente. Do not overcook!
- once the pasta is cooked, drain it and have it aside ready to go.
- taste the og mackerel and season with salt and pepper as needed, add lime juice for acidity (this you add as much as you want based on your own taste)
- in a seperate sautee pan add about half your batch of og mackerel and get it hot, add the pasta and butter at the same time and toss it until the butter is incorporated and the sauce has fully coated the pasta. From here you can make minor adjustments based on if you like your pasta more or less saucey.